Wednesday 31 May 2017

What I've Been Reading, May 2017

Links

These links appear in the order I read them, rather than any more refined sort of organization. You may find some of the best ones are near the bottom—it varies from month to month.

Books

Fiction

  • Too Like the Lightning, by Ada Palmer
    Great read, saturated with original ideas. But totally oblivious to the role of surplus energy in enabling civilization.
  • Cold Welcome, by Elizabeth Moon
    Another pirate/privateer/military story with a strong female protagonist. I wonder what Freud would say....
  • Forty Words for Sorrow, by Giles Blunt
    A murder mystery, for a change. This one sited here in Ontario. I have a weakness for mysteries in unique locales: Walt Longmire in Wyoming, Jommy Perez in the Shetland Islands, Sonchai Jitpleecheep in Bangkok.
  • Walkaway, by Cory Doctorow
    Another book full of ideas, some of which I had thought I'd originated, but here Doctorow is doing innovative things with them while I'm still in the starting blocks.

Non-Fiction

And a few from my bookshelf that I have read over the last few years:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Irv, I really appreciate your ongoing list of books and links, but hey, don't read too fast. I can't keep up! 🙂