Wednesday 5 June 2019

What I've Been Reading, May 2019

May was a busy month between stacking up 10 cords of firewood for next winter and getting started on gardening, so I didn't do as much reading, or writing, as I would have liked.

Links

Miscellaneous

  • Abortion is an Economic Issue, by Hanna Brooks Olsen, Medium—Economy
  • Why I Left the Pro-Life Movement , by Sarah Olson, Medium—Human Parts
    "I protested abortion for years. But when I saw how the movement’s beliefs harm women, I realized I had to get out."
  • The Debate of the Century or a Waste of Time? by Jackie Thornhill, Medium
    "Everything you need to know about today’s debate between Jordan Peterson and Slavoj Žižek"
    Well, maybe not everything. But apparently Žižek mopped the floor with Peterson, and that is good news.
    "Hopefully Jordan Peterson learned the most important lesson — he may have a devoted fan base and legions of followers, but he’s not the heavyweight public intellectual he pretends to be. Perhaps next time Peterson will think twice before challenging someone like Žižek."

Collapse

Peak Oil

Climate Change

Economic Contraction

  • The Economy Continues To Deteriorate, by Investment Research Dynamics
    This article is right about the state of the economy, but it doesn't go deep enough when it talks about the causes. Why is the economy contracting and why is debt being used to keep it going? Clearly, decreasing surplus energy is the underlying cause.

Energy

Hazard and Risk

Agriculture

Genetic Engineering

Before jumping to the erroneous conclusion that this section was paid for by Monsanto, stop for a moment and understand that organic agriculture/food is a multi-billion dollar per year industry that relies on fear to get people to buy its product. Millions of dollars are spent to convince you that non-organic food is dangerous. In fact both conventionally grown and organic foods are equally safe. Sadly neither method of agriculture is even remotely substainable.

Practical Skills

Debunking Resources

These are of such importance that I've decide to leave them here on an ongoing basis.

Science Based Medicine

There is No God, and Thou Shall Have No Other Gods

I don't think I've made any secret of the fact that I am an atheist, but I may not have made it clear that I think any sort of worship is a bad thing and that believing in things is to be avoided whenever possible. Indeed, I do not believe in belief itself. That's what the "Thou shall have no other gods" is about—it's not enough to quit believing in whatever God or Gods you were raised to believe in, but also we must avoid other gods, including material wealth, power and fame.

  • If God Is Dead, Your Time Is Everything, by James Wood, The New Yorker
    A lengthy look at various views of what it means to be secular, as opposed to religious. Concentrating in particular on Martin Hägglund’s view, as articulated in his book This Life: Secular Faith and Spiritual Freedom.
  • The Cult of the Good Christian Woman, by Sarah Olson, Medium—Human Parts
    "The community that raised me is pushing an ideal for women that is repressive and damaging."

Poverty, Homeless People, Minimum Wage, UBI, Health Care, Housing

Autonomous Vehicles and Artificial Intelligence

Books

Fiction

Non-Fiction

  • The Cancer Chronicles, by George Johnson
    "Unlocking Medicine's deepest mystery."
    An excellent reality based survey of what we know, and can do, about cancer.

4 comments:

Bev said...

Really enjoyed the video about the rafter-making and the expertise in felling the tree and splitting the trunk. Such brilliant axe work! I doubt whether much of this will be done post-collapse. The skills just won't be there. That sort of satisfying craft work just couldn't be achieved with a chainsaw and power tools. How much we've lost!

Irv Mills said...

@ Bev
Many skills have been lost, but as that video shows they can be recovered.
I spent 30 plus years as a tradesman and I'm fairly good with my hands, but I worked with guys who were outright amazing and who could pick up pretty well any skill they put their minds to. There are lots of people like that out there and there is a real movement afoot to relearn lost skills. There are lots of video on you tube about that sort of thing.
I've been learning to weave wicker (willow) baskets the last couple of years. Not entirely a lost craft, but pretty rare hereabouts. Fortunately there are some good books and some very helpful videos on you tube.
Come to think of it, the loss of you tube and the internet in general as collapse progresses is going to make adapting to collapse just that much harder. Best to enjoy and take advantage of such resources while we have them.

Joe Clarkson said...

@ Bev

I agree with Irv that the traditional hand tool skills are certainly able to be re-learned. When I was in the Peace Corps in the Marshall Islands in the early 1970s, I built a dugout canoe with an outrigger using only an ax and an adze, neither of which I had used for that kind of work before. I found that with a bit of practice I could cut right down the middle of a soot line with an adze (the Marshallese got soot lines from the Japanese) and leave a very flat surface.

On another canoe I cut three outrigger supports from a curved beam using a hand saw. Each cut was about 12 feet long through 4 inch wood. The Marshallese made their own twine from coconut husk fiber, something I observed but never tried to do. I did participate in making a 3/8" halyard from multiple smaller cords, something that I could probably do again if I had to.

Fortunately there will be plenty of scrap steel for post-collapse tools. It will be harder to make the axes and adzes than using them, but still very possible. Even without steel, it is possible to do some amazing work with stone tools, although the number of people who can knap an ax blade from a piece of stone are few and far between. But as the saying goes, "Necessity is the mother of invention".

Irv Mills said...

@ Joe Clarkson
Nice to hear from you again Joe. And those are good points you make.
@ Bev
Hope it doesn't seem like we are ganging up on you on this subject. I have to admit that I do know many people who will be totally lost when it comes to making things for themselves.